Flixonase Nasal Spray is a highly effective medication used for the treatment of allergic rhinitis. Highly adept at relieving symptoms of hay fever or allergies to dust mites, mould and animal fur, Flixonase is a branded medicine developed and marketed by GlaxoSmithKline pharmaceutical company. Classified as a corticosteroid, Flixonase is available to buy in the UK only with a prescription and can also be obtained in the form of nasal drops (Flixonase Nasule Drop), liquid solution administered directly to the nostrils. This medicine achieved amazing results in providing relief from allergy symptoms, including the swelling and irritation within the nose and throat.
What’s on this page?
What is Flixonase?
Those affected by allergies to airborne triggers can often have a hard time avoiding exposure despite their best efforts. In some situations, it is borderline impossible to stay completely safe from exposure to irritants and then the only option is to use prescription medicines in order to minimise the symptoms. Flixonase is one of such treatments. Developed and marketed by GlaxoSmithKline, Flixonase is a corticosteroid medicine based on the active ingredient fluticasone propionate.
How does Flixonase work?
Flixonase keeps the symptoms of allergic rhinitis under control by interfering with the process of allergic reaction on a biochemical level. More specifically, once the immune system mistakenly identifies a presence of an otherwise benign allergen as a threat akin to infection, it will start releasing certain chemicals and direct them towards the site of contact in order to battle the perceived threat.
However, the compounds that the immune system relies on are the ones that are actually responsible for the symptoms of an allergic reaction, including inflammation and swelling. Fluticasone acts by inhibiting the activity of these chemicals and their effects on the cells of the body, thus eliminating the symptoms and providing relief.
Can I buy Flixonase online?
Yes, you can buy Flixonase online, but within the UK, you can do this only with a valid prescription issued by a certified medical professional, as is the case with all other corticosteroid medicines. In order to buy Flixonase online, you will have to provide a valid prescription or obtain one from the online clinic of your choice.
Most online clinics now offer you the possibility of discussing your condition with a doctor employed by them either through a chat app or through a customised medical questionnaire that is aimed at allowing the doctor to assess your suitability for the use of this medicine.
Provided everything is alright and the doctor is certain that you can safely use Flixonase, he will issue the prescription that you can then use to order the medicine and have it delivered to your address.
How is Flixonase used?
When using Flixonase, you should precisely follow the directions provided by your prescriber in order to ensure maximal benefits and minimal risk of unwanted side effects. In addition to these directions, you should also get familiar with the guidelines provided in the official patient information leaflet that is issued within every pack of Flixonase.
The text that follows is not to be used as a guide, but a short overview that will allow you to get a clearer picture of what can you expect from Flixonase treatment.
How to use Fixonase Nasal Spray?
- Always use as prescribed
- The usual dose is two sprays in each nostril every morning
- If the symptoms improve, your dose will be decreased accordingly
- Before administering the dose, you will have to prime the spray by pumping the button until the device starts producing fine mist
- Be careful not to get the medicine in your eyes while priming the device
- Blow your nose before using
- Close one nostril with your finger while inserting the nozzle of the device into other
- Tilt your head forwards slightly, as is needed to keep the bottle upright
- Begin inhaling and press down the button in the same time
- Breathe out
- Repeat the process and then apply Flixonase to other nostril
- Clear the nozzle with a dry tissue after use
How to use Flixonase Nasule Drops?
Flixonase Nasule Drops is a version of Flixonase medicine that is in the form of nasal drops, a solution that is applied directly to the nose. As such, they are used slightly differently as opposed to standard version, but with the same results.
- The typical daily dose is 0.4mg split between both nostrils once or twice per day, depending on the severity of your condition
- Begin by breaking off one dose from the pack
- Flick the container to mix the contents
- Open by twisting and removing the tab
- Blow your nose prior to use
- Bend your head backwards as much as possible or alternatively lie down on the bed with your head hanging off the edge of the bed
- Insert the applicator into one nostril and squeeze it to administer a dose
- Once the sides of the applicator are touching, half of the dose is administered and the remaining amount should be administered to other nostril
- Keep your head bent for roughly a minute after administering the dose to ensure that full dose has been absorbed
Things to keep in mind for both treatments
- Be careful not to get Flixonase in your eyes – if this happens, rinse with water as soon as possible
- Never exceed the prescribed dose
- If you miss a dose, just skip it and continue with your treatment as usual
Are there any Flixonase side effects?
While not everyone using this medicine will necessarily experience side effects, it is still important to get familiar with them prior to commencing treatment, so you can easily differentiate between potentially dangerous side effects that might require immediate medical attention and those which are unpleasant, but otherwise benign.
The side effects that are reason for concern include:
- Sudden and severe wheezing
- Breathing difficulties
- Weakness and dizziness
- Swelling of the face, mouth or tongue
- Skin rashes and redness
If you notice any of these side effects, you should immediately contact your doctor or emergency services.
Other documented side effects include:
|Frequency of occurrence||Side effects|
|Very common (1 in 10 users or more)||Nosebleeds
|Common (1 in 10 users or less)||Headaches, unpleasant taste or smell, dry and painful nose or throat|
|Very rare (1 in 10.000 users)||Skin reactions, eye problems such as blurred vision, nasal damage|
Keep in mind that this is not a full list of side effects, but just a general overview. For a more detailed list, please refer to the official patient information leaflet.