Terra-Cortril ointment, made by Alliance Pharmaceuticals, and is is used to treat bacterial skin infections. This medicine uses hydrocortisone and oxytetracycline to treat eczema and with combining the two active ingredients it makes it an effective medicine to combat the symptoms. The topical medication kills bacteria and reduces inflammation to improve symptoms.
What’s on this page:
Eczema: A brief overview
Eczema, or dermatitis, is a common skin condition affecting one in twelve adults in the UK. Eczema is the name for a group of conditions that cause the skin to become red, itchy and inflamed. Eczema is a general term for dermatitis, which is the term normal used inflammation of the skin. All types of eczema cause itching and redness and some will blister or peel. There is several types of eczema, and to know which type of the condition you have is relevant to the type of treatment you will need.
While the exact cause of eczema is unknown, researchers do know that people who develop
eczema do so because of a combination of genes and environmental triggers. When an irritant or an allergen is exposed to the immune system, skin cells don’t behave as they normally would and therefore cause eczema flare-ups.
How does Terra-Cortril work?
Our skin naturally produces a combination of fats and oils in order to retain moisture. When the skin’s ability to make these substances is impaired it becomes prone to drying out. There is no cure for this chronic condition and it can cause other health problems such as infections and difficulty sleeping.
Terra-Cortril Ointment contains two different medicines: oxytetracycline and hydrocortisone.
Oxytetracycline is one of a group of medicines called tetracycline antibiotics. It is used to treat infections caused by bacteria and certain other microorganisms. Hydrocortisone is a corticosteroid used to reduce inflamed skin which has resulted from allergy, infection or injury.
By using Terra-Cortril, the cream gets absorbed directly into the skin and works by killing off bacteria cells by stopping them from being able to reproduce. It also decreases the release of certain chemicals in the skin that widen the blood vessels in an inflammatory reaction. By killing bacteria and preventing inflammation the unpleasant eczema symptoms can be reduced.
Can I buy Terra-Cortril online in the UK?
It is possible to purchase this drug online after a quick consultation on chat or a phone consultation. Terra-Cortril is not prescription free and therefore you must always have a prescription from your doctor to start the treatment. Never start such treatment without talking to a doctor, and do not buy this medicine online from pages that do not require a doctor’s consultation. These are unauthorized online pharmacies and can sell fake versions of the drug. If you are fit for the treatment, you will receive it directly by mail from an approved pharmacy in the UK.
How to use Terra-Cortril
When using this medicine, it is absolutely crucial to precisely follow the guidelines presented to you by your prescriber. In addition to this, you should also consult the official patient information leaflet that you can find within every box of the medicine for a detailed overview of the treatment. Doing so will go a long way in diminishing the risk of side effects while at the same time boosting the chances of success.
Some most general guidelines can be described as follows:
- Gently apply a small amount of ointment to the affected area. This may be done two to four times a day
- Do not stop using the ointment too soon after seeing improvement.
- If you do not see an improvement within a week, go back and see your doctor.
- Terra-Cortril Ointment is for external use only. Do not use it for eye infections.
- Terra-Cortril Ointment is not recommended for use in children.
- Wash your hands after use. Always replace the cap
- This ointment is for external use only. If any ointment is accidentally swallowed, tell your doctor immediately, or contact your nearest hospital casualty department.
- If you forget to apply the ointment, do not worry. Apply the ointment in the normal way as soon as you remember
- Always use Terra-Cortril exactly as your doctor has told you. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Are there any side effects?
Like all medicines, this cream can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. The most serious of them certainly is an allergic reaction to the medicine. If you turn out to be allergic to Locoid or any of its ingredients, it is essential to contact the emergency services immediately and ask for advice. The symptoms of any allergic side effect is:
- You have difficulty breathing
- Your face or throat swell
- Your skin develops a severe rash
Other possible side effects:
- skin rash or allergic reaction
- thinning or softening of the skin
- spread or worsening of infection swelling of the hair-roots in the skin (folliculitis)
- excessive growth of hair on the skin (hypertrichosis)
- white patches on the skin (hypopigmentation)
- prickly heat striae (red lines)
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet that follows with the package of medicine.
In order to ensure the safety of this treatment, always make sure to disclose all the relevant info to your doctor and this includes other medicines you might be taking at the moment and other medical conditions that you might be affected by
Hypersensitivity to this cream is a contraindication. In addition, this cream should not be used if you have the following:
- Do not use this medicine if your skin problems are caused by a fungal infection, bacterial infection or cutaneous tuberculosis (TB)
- Terra-Cortril is not suitable for treating acne or rosacea and should not be applied to shrivelled skin, festering or infected wounds, and cold sores.
Terra-Cortril is not thought to have an effect on any other medicines you might be taking. If you have any concerns about taking other medicines talk to your doctor or pharmacist. It has no documented interactions with alcohol or effects on your ability to drive.