Bendroflumethiazide is a type of medicine called a diuretic. It’s used to treat high blood pressure and the build-up of fluid in your body (oedema). A diuretic is a medicine which increases the amount of urine that you pass out from your kidneys. They are sometimes referred to as ‘water tablets’.
Bendroflumethiazide is a generic medicine. Bendroflumethiazide tablets are also available under the brand name Aprinox.
What’s on this page:
What causes fluid retention?
Water retention is often temporary and is easily treated, however, it can sometimes be an indication of a serious medical condition. It can occur in many different areas of the body and for different reasons. Water retention can occur due to changes in this regulatory system, or a range of other triggers.
When the system of hormones and other substances called prostaglandins are used by the human body to regulate water levels. This means that excess water can be excreted quickly from the kidneys in the form of urine. Fluid retention is often caused by the increase of blood pressure on the veins which adds to the pressure on the capillaries. The irregular changes in the blood vessels are often associated with eating habits.
How does Bendroflumethiazide work?
As mentioned above Bendroflumethiazide is a type of medicine known as a thiazide diuretic. Diuretic works by increasing the amount of salts, such as potassium and sodium, that are filtered out of the blood into the urine by the kidneys. When these salts are filtered out of the blood they draw water alongside them. This lowers the volume of fluid in the blood vessels and also the pressure of the blood inside the blood vessels.
By removing the retained fluid the swollen area reduces in size, usually returning back to its normal appearance. Where treatment does not resolve your symptoms, we highly recommend you to contact your doctor for further examination, when this can be a symptom of a more serious underlying cause.
Are there any side effects with Bendroflumethiazide?
Like all medicines, Bendroflumethiazide tablets can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. But it’s always important to know about the potential side effects, incase some occur.
Some of the side effects include:
- allergic reaction (if you suspect that you might be allergic to any of the ingredients in the medicine, please contact your doctor or hospital as soon as possible for further advice)
- feeling thirsty with a dry mouth
- feeling or being sick
- stomach pain
- loss of appetite
- severe joint pain
- feeling dizzy and faint
- unexpected weight loss, frequent thrush, bladder or skin infections, tiredness, blurred vision and increased thirst
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed.
In order to ensure the safety of this treatment, always make sure to disclose all the relevant info to your doctor and this includes other medicines you might be taking at the moment and other medical conditions that you might be affected by. Hypersensitivity to Bendroflumethiazide is a contraindication. In addition, this cream should not be used if you have the following:
Tell your doctor if you’re taking these medicines before starting bendroflumethiazide:
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or naproxen, or aspirin for pain relief
- medicines to treat heart problems, including amiodarone, digoxin, disopyramide, flecainide and sotalol
- medicines to treat sickness or nausea (antiemetics), such as domperidone, metoclopramide and prochlorperazine
- antidepressants, such as amitriptyline, citalopram and venlafaxine
- medicines for other mental health problems, such as chlorpromazine, pimozide, trifluoperazine and lithium
- medicines that affect levels of salts (electrolytes) in your blood, including potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium, corticosteroids or other diuretics
- medicines used for asthma, including inhalers such as formoterol, salbutamol or salmeterol
allopurinol, a medicine to treat gout
- ciclosporin, a medicine used to treat psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis
- insulin or any other medicine used to treat diabetes
- carbamazepine, a medicine for epilepsy
- calcium or vitamin D supplements, including alfacalcidol or calcitriol
If you’re ever in doubt if you can use this medicine, always consult with your GP.
Can I buy Bendroflumethiazide online in the UK?
Yes, it is possible to purchase this drug online after a quick consultation on chat or a phone consultation. This medicine is not prescription free and therefore you must always have a prescription from your doctor to start the treatment. Never start such treatment without talking to a doctor, and do not buy this medicine online from pages that do not require a doctor’s consultation. These are unauthorised online pharmacies and can sell fake versions of the drug. If you are fit for the treatment, you will receive it directly by mail from an approved pharmacy in the UK.