Prevent altitude sickness with Diamox, also known as acetazolamide. Elevated sickness occurs if you move up in the heights, for example climbing a mountain, and the symptoms usually start at an altitude of 3000 meters or higher. It can develop into serious complications if you do not take it seriously. The disease occurs due to lack of oxygen, and can cause symptoms such as dizziness, headache and extreme fatigue. With preventive treatment and precautions you can avoid serious or troublesome symptoms of altitude sickness.1
What’s on this page:
How does acetazolamide work?
90% of the carbon dioxide of the blood is found in a chemical called bicarbonate. This usually exhales through the lungs. When you take diamox containing the active substance acetazolamide, you force your kidneys to separate bicarbonate from your body. This happens through the urine. This will result in your blood getting more acidic. When the blood gets acidic and gets a lower pH, the body compensates by increasing the oxygen production in the blood.
The increased oxygen production helps the body to acclimatize in relation to the changed oxygen content in heights. That way, treatment helps prevent and treat altitude sickness.
How to use Diamox?
Always follow your doctor’s advice when using Diamox against height sickness. The doses come in 250 mg and your doctor will usually print 1-4 a day. You should never take more than the doctor has recommended you to take. The tablets should be swallowed whole and taken with a glass of water. Your doctor may have recommended you to start treatment a few days before your planning to get up in the height.
If you forget a dose, do not compensate by taking a double dose next time. You should also not increase your dose without talking to your doctor first.
If you have taken too many tablets, contact a doctor.
Who can use high-altitude tablets?
Most adults who need to counteract height sickness can use Diamox to treat the symptoms. This could be, for example, whether you plan to climb a mountain or climb high places. However, there are some groups that are not suitable for treatment or which should be extra attentive.
You should not use this treatment if you are allergic to any of the ingredients. If you have oxygen poisoning or have too little potassium, calcium or sodium in your blood, the treatment is not for you. It is not recommended treatment if you have too much lime in the urine, have impaired kidney function, or if your liver or renal function is very reduced. Pregnant women should also avoid using the medicine unless the doctor has said that it is fine. Since the substance can also be used for glaucoma, you should be careful if you suffer from a particular type of glaucoma.
In addition, be careful if you have too big lungs, have had kidney stones or if you have kidney or liver disease.
In addition, there are a number of other medicines that should not be taken at the same time as diamox. Therefore, you should always inform your doctor about the diseases and other medicines you take before your doctor can print a prescription.
Diamox Side Effects
When using medicines, there will always be a risk of side effects. However, this does not mean that everyone gets side effects. The most common side effects in the mild end are dizziness, taste changes, loss of appetite and fatigue. In addition, headaches, tiredness, nausea and vomiting may occur. In severe cases there may be attention with deep and quick breath. Here you should immediately call an ambulance.
In addition, there are rare side effects, which you can get complete list of in the package leaflet or by asking your doctor.
Although side effects may occur, most people will not experience annoying or serious side effects. If you experience discomfort after treatment, consult a doctor or healthcare professional.
How do I prevent altitude sickness?
- Diamox is the most common medical treatment of altitude sickness. Since height sickness is a serious condition, you should always be incredibly aware of how you feel when you climb the heights.
- If you experience mild high disease symptoms such as headache, light dizziness and tiredness, you can relieve the symptoms of common headache tablets. You should also go further down or hold the height for a few days. It depends on the situation.
- If you experience severe symptoms of altitude sickness like severe headaches, severe dizziness, tightness and tightness in the chest, consult a doctor as soon as possible and go as far down as possible.
- It’s best always to have a local guide with you. Local guides are often trained to go to the height and therefore know how to deal with altitude sickness and their symptoms.
- It is also important that you get to know the condition and the symptoms you should be aware of before starting the ascension. Be well informed and be aware of what to do if you or people around you experience symptoms of altitude sickness. It is important for a safe walk in the heights.
Is it safe for me to buy Diamox online?
Diamox is a prescription drug, so you should always visit a doctor if you need medicine. However, you can still purchase your online treatment through an approved online clinic. Here you will be asked about various health problems that a doctor will consider. If you are considered suitable for treatment, a prescription will be printed in your name. Then the treatment will be sent directly to you by mail within a short period of time.